The City provides seasonal curbside collection of yard waste. Rules apply. Pickup is every week in early spring and late fall, every other week in between. There is no service in winter.
Pickup frequency varies throughout the year. Christmas trees are collected in early January only. Use our online lookup function to determine your upcoming collection days.
Drop Off Facility
The City's transfer station accepts yard waste throughout the year. Restrictions apply. Fees are waived December through March.
Learn how you can use yard waste and certain food scraps to compost at home and produce a rich soil amendment for your garden.
Christmas trees are collected curbside the first two full weeks of January only. Ornamentation must be removed. Artificial trees are not taken.
The Drop Off Facility accepts Christmas trees from residential permit-holders for free, year-round.
Did you know?
Over 15,000 cubic yards of yard waste are collected in Manchester each year and composted at local farms. Diversion of this material preserves existing landfill space and reduces the amount of methane gas produced during decomposition.
Rules and Regulations
By law, yard waste must be separated from trash. Acceptable methods of placement are:
- Biodegradable Paper Bags (no plastic)
- Barrels with City Yard Waste stickers attached (stickers available at Department of Public Works, 475 Valley Street, and Drop Off Facility)
- Bundles no more than 3 feet long and 2 feet in diameter (ties should be biodegradable, not plastic)
Please keep in mind the following restrictions:
- Size Limits -- No individual branch or stump greater than 3 inches in diameter or 3 feet in length will be collected. These restrictions do not apply to Christmas trees during the January collection period.
- Time and Location of Placement -- Yard waste should be placed at the edge of the roadway no later than 7 AM of your scheduled collection day. Please take care to not block sidewalks.