What is COBRA?
COBRA is a program that provides the continuation of employee health and dental insurance due a Qualifying Event.
With COBRA, the qualified beneficiary (employee, spouse, dependent) may continue coverage for a specific period of time. The qualified beneficiary pays 100% of the premium, plus an administrative fee to the COBRA Administrator.
FY2023 Monthly Premium Rates
Who is the COBRA Administrator?
967 Elm Street
Manchester NH 03102
Qualifying Events for an Employee include:
- Termination of employment for any reason other than gross misconduct
- Ineligibility of benefits due to a change in hours of employment
Qualifying Events for spouses include:
- Termination of the employee for any reason other than gross misconduct
- The employee dies
- Employee's hours of employment are reduced
- Divorce or legal separation
Qualifying Events for Dependent Children
- Termination of the parent/employee for any reason other than gross misconduct
- The parent/employee dies
- The parent/employee's hours of employment are reduced
- Parents become divorced or legally separated
- Child stops being eligible for coverage under the plan as a "dependent child"
How does it work?
- When an employee, spouse or dependent experience a qualifying event, the City of Manchester notifies the COBRA Administrator.
- The COBRA Administrator sends a COBRA notice to each qualified beneficiary.
- Each Qualified beneficiary has 60 days from the loss of coverage, or from the date the COBRA notice is received to make the election.
- Payment is due to the COBRA Administrator within 45 days of the date of the COBRA election.
For more information about COBRA including the duration of coverage, please refer to the City of Manchester Plan Document.