Home » Departments » Tax Collector » Motor Vehicle Registration » Documents Required for Registering

Documents Required for Registering

EFFECTIVE January 1st, 2015
Any motor vehicle whose manufacturer's model year is 2000 and newer will always be titled. RSA 261:1

We accept these forms of payment when paying in person:

  • Checks
  • Cashier Checks
  • Money Orders
  • Bank Checks
  • Travelers Checks
  • Cash
  • Debit and Credit Card 

Debit and Credit card payments are now accepted in person at the Tax Office

Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express®, and Discover® credit and debit cards

There is a 2.75% service fee, minimum $1.95. All convenience fees are collected by the credit card processer and not the City of Manchester.

For A Renewal:

  • Current Registration & Valid ID   OR    
  • Renewal Notice & Valid ID OR
  • Valid ID & plate number(s)/ description of vehicle(s). **Only, if you are the registered owner of the vehicle


**** If your mail is returned to the Tax Office by the Post Office you must reprove residency by showing mail or lease agreement dated AFTER mail was returned.***

For Vehicles Just Purchased:


For vehicles with a model year of 2000 or newer:
  • The original Certificate of Origin signed over on the back to the new owner
  • The original Certificate of Title signed over on the back to the new owner
  • The Town Clerk's copy of the Certificate of Title Application (CTA) provided by the dealer.


For vehicles with a model year of 1999 or older:

You need one of the following along with a Bill of Sale signed by both Seller(s) and Buyer(s) or a sales receipt:

  • The prior owner's previously issued NH registration (out-of-state registration is not acceptable)
  • A valid NH or out-of-state title.
  • A verification of VIN (Form 19A) completed by an appropriate agency - law enforcement officer, NH State Inspection station, or NH dealer.

*If you are transferring NH plates from a vehicle that is registered in your name but being taken off the road, the current registration for the previous vehicle must be submitted to complete the transaction. If the previous vehicles registration is lost or destroyed, a certified copy must be duplicated for a fee of $18.00 prior to completing the transfer.


Proof Of Residency Requirements:

New residents to New Hampshire must prove residency when registering a vehicle for the first time.
Acceptable Proof Of Residency For New Residents

  - A Recently issued New Hampshire Drivers or Non-Drivers License
  - Mail recently received at your Manchester address
  - A lease agreement signed by the owner or management company. (Roommates do not qualify)
  - A recent pay stub showing  your Manchester address

For more information on registrations for new residents of New Hampshire, see the New Residents page.