Home » Departments » Police » Police FAQ

Police FAQ

Animal Control

Does my cat need a rabies shot?

Yes, All dogs, cats, and ferrets require a rabies vaccine.

How come I always get a voicemail instead of speaking with someone?

The Animal Control Division is staffed with two ACO’s. Many times there is only one on duty to field calls and answer telephones. Please leave a detailed message. The ACO on duty will check voice mails throughout the day and return calls on a priority basis. Safety issues are the first priority.

How much does it cost to license my dog?

  • Puppy (ages 4-7 months) $7.50
  • Neutered or spayed dogs $7.50
  • Unaltered male of female dog $10.00
  • Senior citizen dog $3.00
    (owner who is 65 years old or older on the first dog only)

I have a skunk under my shed what do I do?

If any animal is living under your shed, porch or other structure, a simple way to remove the animal is to spread a large amount mothballs underneath the structure. It is also recommended to have the space from the ground to the bottom of the structure blocked with a metal screen to prevent animals returning under the structure.

My dog is an inside dog, do I need to get him licensed?

Yes, all dogs residing in Manchester need to be licensed.

There is a barking dog in my neighborhood that is driving me crazy, what can be done about this?

City Ordinance and State Statutes govern noise issues. The protocol used is for the complainant to create a log of Date, Time of Day, and Length of Time of the barking. The log should be for ten days to two weeks. The log will show if there are any violations. An ACO will address the situation with the dog owner. A summons may be issued. The complainant will be required to appear in court should the dog owner contest the summons. If the noise is during the night, call 668-8711 ask for dispatch. Let the call taker know you have a noise complaint. They will send out an officer to address the issue.

What are the hours for Animal Control?

An Animal Control Officer typically is on duty seven days a week from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday an ACO is on until 6:00pm. However, sometimes the schedule will change. Please call (603) 628-6043 and listen to the greeting. It will let you know if there is some one working that day.

What do I need to do to license my dog?

The owner or keeper of a dog must furnish proof to the city clerk that the dog has been vaccinated against rabies. In addition, if the dog has been spayed or neutered, the owner or keeper needs to furnish the city with the proper documentation.

What should I do when I find a bat in my house?

The bat needs to be captured and tested for rabies if there is contact with people, or if a child or pet is in the room with the bat, or if a person is sleeping or impaired while in the room with the bat. If one of these scenarios has happened, call (603) 668-8711 and ask for dispatch. They will send out an ACO or patrolman, if after hours. If none of the listed scenarios happened, open a window in the room and be patient. The bat will eventually leave.

Dispatch Center

How can I help myself in an emergency?

Most importantly, remain calm and work with the 911 Telecommunicator. Valuable time can be lost to panic. You may be able to provide important information for the responders or take some important first steps to handle the situation at hand. For the speediest response possible, be prepared to supply the Telecommunicator with the following information: type of problem, where you are, where the problem is, phone number you may be called back at, color of the house, closest cross streets, landmarks, how many people are involved, descriptions of any vehicles involved, and descriptions of any suspects and direction of travel.

If you are calling from a cellular phone, make note of landmarks, mile markers on the highways, and any other information which could provide your location. When you dial 911 from a cellular phone, it is not answered by your local Dispatch Center, but rather the State of New Hampshire's Enhanced 911 Public Safety Answering Point in Concord NH. It is vital to be as specific as you can regarding your location especially on a cellular phone.

How do I know if my call is an emergency?

Examples of emergencies are: a crime or incident in progress, a suspicious person or vehicle, or when there is a risk of loss of life or property. Non-emergencies include crimes or incidents not in progress, animal calls, directions, questions about special events, and loud music calls. If you are not sure if your concern qualifies as an emergency, go ahead and dial 911. The dispatcher will refer you to the non-emergency number if appropriate.

What happens when I dial 911? Am I talking to my local Communications Center?

The answer is both yes and no. Your 911 call goes from your phone to the State of New Hampshire's Enhanced 911 Public Safety Answering Point in Concord. The 911 Telecommunicator in Concord will ask you if your emergency is for police, fire or medical response. Your call is then routed to the appropriate Dispatch Center in Manchester. So, if you tell Concord that you need the police, the call is then routed to the Manchester Police Department Dispatch Center. We take over the call and ask you more detailed questions to give the responding Officers a better idea of your situation.

Why does it take so long for an Officer to show up at my house when I call?

There are several reasons for this. First, the large number of calls received often outnumber the Officers available to handle these calls. Second, the Communications Staff works on a triage system, using answers to their questions to prioritize calls from highest priorities to lower priorities. For example, a fight in progress or a motor vehicle accident with injuries would be assigned higher priorities than a barking dog or theft not in progress.

Domestic Violence

How can I get my belongings out of our my/house?

If you live in Manchester you can call the Police at (603) 668-8711 and ask for a CIVIL STANDBY. These generally last 5-15 minutes. The Officer will standby while you gather essential items. If the 2nd party/person is not at home the Police will not allow you to gain unauthorized entry.

I was served a Protective Order but it still hasn't been served on the other person. What is going on?

Several things could have happened:

  • The person may have moved and the Police in that town aren't aware of your order
  • The person may be avoiding service by not coming to their door when the Police arrive. Please supply the Police with that person's work address, if you know it, and any other locations that you know they go to often
  • The Police Department may not have your order yet. If that is what you are told you need to call the court where you got the order and find out what the problem is.

I was served a subpoena to appear in court. I do not want to go and a friend told me that nothing would happen if I didn't go. What's the story?

You need to be aware that if you do not show up for court and you have been served a subpoena you could be arrested.

I was assaulted last night by my significant other. I called the Police but he/she wasn't arrested. What am I supposed to do now?

Call the Domestic Violence Unit at 668-8711 ext. 5530. We will set up an appointment with you so that you can come in and file a criminal complaint for that person to be arrested.

My protective order says that my significant other can't see the kids but I want him/her to be able to see them. What do I do?

At the final hearing for your Protective Order, you need to make that wish clear to the Judge. You can also go to Family/Superior court and have custody proceedings started.

My significant other was arrested and now I am going to court to get a Protective Order. He/she has my house/car/etc. keys. How can I get them back?

When you go to get the Protective Order, tell the Judge about this. Ask to have your keys/other essential items returned. The Judge will generally put that on your Protective Order.

My significant other was arrested but I really only want him/her to get counseling. Who can I talk to about that?

You can call the Manchester District Court. They also are part of our team. They are the Domestic Violence Project. Their number is (603) 628-6379 or 6381. You can ask to speak with an advocate about your case and tell that person your concern.

My significant other was arrested and I took out a Protective order but, now he/she is calling/writing me from jail. What can I do?

You can call the Police and make a report of "Violation of a Protective Order." Make sure to write down dates, times and locations so that the Officer will have all the details.

What can the Domestic Violence Unit do to help me?

The D.V. Unit at Manchester Police Department can:

  • Give you information concerning your abusers arrest
  • Update you on happenings in your case
  • Inform you of when the court date will be for the criminal trial
  • Offer suggestions as to how to stay safe if your abuser is out on bail or was not arrested
  • Refer you to the YWCA if you need a safe place to stay
  • Explain the difference between bail conditions and a Protective order
  • Offer suggestions if your relationship is becoming violent
  • Take pictures of your injuries a few days after the initial report was made
  • Help you make a criminal complaint against your abuser
  • Tell you what to expect from the court proceedings if there is going to be a trial
  • Follow-up with you at your home if you are disabled or have some other serious medical condition that prevents you from getting to the Police station

Where can I get a Protective Order?

You should be able to get a Protective order at your district court. If you live in Manchester the district court is on Amherst Street, one block up from the CVS store on Elm Street.

Why do I need a Protective Order if there are bail conditions that the offender has to stay away from me?

In the State of New Hampshire, Police cannot arrest a person for violating their bail conditions unless the violation occurs in the Officer's presence. A protective order is something that you can also carry with you, give to schools/daycare and is more easily enforced by the Police.

Hiring a Police Detail

How do I cancel a police detail?

Call the Extra Detail Clerk at the Manchester Police Department at (603) 628-6255, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. During non-business hours, cancellations should be made with the Officer In Charge by calling (603) 668-8711, ext. 5466.

How do I know if I need to hire a police detail?

If a road will be encumbered in any way, a police detail is required.  Usually one officer is sufficient, but you should check with the Highway Department when getting a permit.  Depending on the location, more than one officer may be necessary.

Certain social or community events will also require hiring a police detail,  which may be stipulated by either the facility where the event will take place or when applying for the event permit.

How far in advance should a police detail be booked?

The more notice that can be given, the better.  We can try to accommodate last minute details, however, it is more likely to get filled with more notice (at least 2-3 days, if not more)

How is a police detail hired?

Call the Extra Detail Clerk at the Manchester Police Department at 628-6255, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

How much does a police detail cost?

As of 7/1/21, the detail rate is $63.50 per hour, with a 4-hour minimum.  Any detail that goes over 8 hours will be billed at the overtime rate of $95.25 per hour.  The Holiday Rate of $127.00 per hour will be billed for the following holidays:  New Year's Eve (starting at 6 p.m.), New Year's Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve (starting at 6 p.m.) and Christmas Day.

What is the cancellation policy?

Cancellations must be made at least 4.5 hours prior to the start time of the scheduled detail.  Weather-related cancellations (for outside details only) must be made 1.5 hours prior to the start time of the detail.  A 4-hour minimum will be charged for any cancellation that is not made within these times.

Juvenile Division

Can I have my child emancipated as an adult in NH?

NO. There is no emancipation law in the state of New Hampshire. The age of minority for criminal offenses is 17 in the State of New Hampshire. For child services, the age remains at 18 years old. A child can only go to adult court if he/she commits a motor vehicle or aeronautical violation upon reaching 16 years old, or a tobacco related offense once he/she has turned 12 years old.

These are similar to being issued a traffic ticket. Juveniles may be "certified" as adults through the court system, but only after certain criteria directly related to a particular criminal offense or offenses have been met. In other words, parents or youth cannot say that they want their child to become emancipated because they can no longer control them or want nothing further to do with them.

Services regarding behaviors amounting to CHINS offenses (runaway, stubborn and unruly etc.) may be obtained by calling the Office of Youth Services (OYS) at (603) 624-6470

If my child is arrested or charged with a delinquency, does he have to make bail?

No. After a juvenile is charged with an offense, he or she is released to a parent or guardian. When the crime is very serious (such as a domestic assault), the juvenile may be detained at the Police Department until the next court session.

The Detective will consider the seriousness of the offense, the possibility that the juvenile will harm others or him/herself, or flee the community when deciding if a juvenile will be detained. The juvenile may be detained at the Manchester Police Department or at YDSU in Manchester, NH until the next court session.

What can I expect from the Juvenile Division if I am the victim of juvenile act?

All cases involving juveniles are reviewed and considered for assignment to one of the detectives who handle juvenile crime. There are currently thirteen investigators assigned to the Juvenile Unit. Three are assigned to the CHASE Unit (Child Abuse and Sexual Exploitation) exclusively handle abuse/neglect cases when juveniles are victims of this type of crime. Three other detectives are assigned to primarily handle delinquent crimes and seven investigators are assigned throughout the city as School Resource Officers (SRO’s) All cases involving juveniles are reviewed and considered for assignment to one of the juvenile detectives.

Cases are naturally prioritized from serious to less serious. Serious crimes against persons and/or if there is a risk that the suspect will flee and commit additional crimes take precedent over other cases. You can expect the Detective assigned to your case to interview the suspect and any witnesses you may have listed, or witnesses the Detective may have identified. Be prepared to be patient and understand that juvenile matters are very confidential - despite recent legislation allowing victim input in the most serious cases.

What is the difference between a delinquent and a CHINS offender?

A delinquent is any person under the age of 17 who commits any act that would constitute a felony or a misdemeanor if committed by an adult. A CHINS offender is any person under the age of 17 who commits an offense that would constitute a violation if committed by an adult, such as a violation of a city ordinance.

CHINS offenses also include charges unique to juveniles. These include Truancy, Runaway, and Stubborn and Unruly Child. These also include all motor vehicle violations if committed by a child under the age of 16. Any violation of the motor vehicle code for individuals over 16 years of age shall be treated as an adult.

If I think a child is being abused, am I obligated to contact someone and if so, whom should I call?

A person is in violation of RSA 169-C:29 if he or she fails to report his or her suspicions that a child is or has been abused or neglected. Reports of abuse can be made to the Division of Children, Youth and Families (800-894-5533) or to your local police department (911). Police departments are often notified during non-business hours and weekends.

Who can I call if my child is being "stubborn and unruly" or is constantly absent from home?

Reports of a missing child are made to your local police department. Be prepared to give a photo of your child to the officer taking the report and a full description. The missing youth is then put out through N.C.I.C (National Crime Information Center). Upon return of the youth, he/she is cancelled on the computer as missing. Again, missing persons are considered CHINS offenses, therefore once a missing youth is located, he/she cannot be locked up in a secured cell unless the youth is charged with a criminal (delinquent) act.

The Office of Youth Service is a city organization designed to assist families with troubled youths. Many cases of CHINS offenses, such as Truancy and Runaway, are handled at O.Y.S. If you have a child whose behavior is similar to what is described above, O.Y.S. can be contacted at (603) 624-6470.

Records Division

How do I get copies of an Incident Report?

Requests may be made in writing either by request forms obtained at the Police Station or by letter from an individual or Insurance Co., etc. The fee is $0.25 per page.

Incident reports are individually reviewed for release to ensure that we are in compliance with the laws and regulations governing the release of reports. Edited copies may be released in certain cases. Any questions pertaining to the release can be answered by our record clerks.

How do I have Fingerprints taken?

Civilian fingerprinting for employment, visas, immigration, citizenship and other purposes is done at the police department Tuesday – Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. When entering the lobby of the police station go to the Records window on the right where a Records Specialist can process your request. The fee for this service is set by city ordinance and is $20 per fingerprint card. (Cards are supplied by the requestor.)

How do I obtain a Gun Permit?

You must complete an application consisting of current and past employment, work and residence information, and the names and addresses of three references. Once submitted, the process takes 10 to 14 business days. A $10.00 fee is due upon approval and the permit issued.  

How do I obtain a Record Check?

Only you can request a copy of your Criminal/Motor Vehicle record. All criminal record checks are done at the NH State Police Criminal Records Department, (603-223-3867). The Concord office is open M-F 8:15 to 4:00. A photo ID and a $25 fee is required to obtain a copy of the record.  All motor vehicle record checks are done through the DMV.

What information will my Record Check contain?

A criminal record check will contain all criminal offenses and misdemeanor mv offenses from 2005 to present.  Both mv offenses and criminal offenses remain on the criminal record until they are annulled and are released depending on the reason the record is needed.  Convictions and non convictions are tracked for both criminal and vehicle records.


Traffic Division

How do I get a copy of my accident report?

You have to come to the Manchester Police Department Traffic Division window M-F from 7:30-4:30. Per City Ordinance the first page (both sides) will cost you $10 and each additional page will cost $1.

I need my accident report case number for my insurance company. Can I get this?

Yes. Give us a call and with your name and the date/location of the accident we should be able to get this information for you.

I was in an accident and need the other driver's insurance company. How do I get this information?

If a police report was done, and if the other person has insurance, that information should be noted on the accident report. We will give you this information if you are the driver and/or owner of one of the vehicles involved in the accident.

When do I have to report an accident to the Police?

According to N.H. RSA 264:25, Reporting Requirements: In the State of New Hampshire, any Motor Vehicle Accident causing death, personal injury, or combined damage in excess of $1,000 must be reported in writing to the Division of Motor Vehicles within 15 days.

This can be accomplished by calling the Police to the scene so that they can file a report. If the police file a report this meets the above requirement, and you as the driver are not required to notify the Division of Motor Vehicles.

An alternative to calling the Police is to obtain a State of New Hampshire Motor Vehicle Accident Report form and complete it yourself and then mail it to the State. These forms are available at the Manchester Police Department, as well as at the Registry of Motor Vehicles.