Home » Departments » Tax Collector » Motor Vehicle Registration » New Residents

New Residents

Effective January 1st, 2015
Any motor vehicle whose manufacturer's model year is 2000 and newer will always be titled. RSA 261:1

If you have never paid a registration permit fee to the City of Manchester, NH or have not done so for more than a couple of years, you are not established as a resident in our database and will not be able to register a vehicle without establishing your residency.

To do that, you'll need to bring in your current driver's license or other government issued photo ID and proof of your address in Manchester, NH.

Acceptable Proof of Residency (with a recent date):

  • Recently issued NH ID
  • Utility bill
  • Mail with postmark
  • Lease or rental agreement

Unfortunately, we cannot accept notes from roommates or items that were not actually mailed to you.

Also as a reminder, if you have just moved to NH you have 60 days to apply for a NH Driver's License by NH State Law (RSA 263:35). If you do not apply for a NH Drivers License within the 60 days you will not be allowed to renew your vehicle registration, or register any other vehicles.

Changing Your Out-of-State Registered Vehicle to New Hampshire

For vehicles with a model year of 1999 or older bring the following to the Tax Collector Office:

  • Valid out-of-state registration showing ownership
  • Title or Vin-verification completed by an authorized agent.
  • Proof of residency

For 2000 or newer vehicles, you need to bring the following to the Tax Collector Office:

  • Your out-of-state Title
  • The name and mailing address of your lien holder (if you have one).
  • Proof of residency
  • If there are multiple owners the title application done in the office will need to be signed by all owners.

For Leased or Liened vehicle, if you don't have the title with you bring the following to the Tax Collector Office:

  • Your out-of-state registration
  • Proof of residency
  • The date of birth of any co-owner and a copy of any out of state owners ID
  • The current mileage on your vehicle
  • The name and mailing address of your lien holder or
  • The lease agreement listing lessor and lessee(s).

We will prepare your application for NH Title, and you will be issued  a metal NH plates. All fees will be collected at this time.

The NH Title Bureau will then send a request to your lien holder to swap your title from your previous state to NH. 

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND: If your lien holder or leasing company fails to release your title to the NH Title Bureau after you complete your registration, you will not be eligible to renew your registration. We recommend contacting your lien holder or leasing company after registering with NH to inform them they will be receiving a request from the NH DMV to swap your title.