Home » Departments » City Clerk » Vital Records and Genealogy » Divorce Certificate

Divorce Certificate

In many cases, records for individuals divorced in New Hampshire are available from the City or Town Clerk in your community.  If you were divorced in New Hampshire over six months ago and after 1979, you will likely be able to get a certified copy of your divorce certificate at our office located at One City Hall Plaza or from the New Hampshire Division of Vital Records Administration.

Purchase Divorce Certificates Online Credit Card Only


Divorce records are considered private and confidential, with access limited to those individuals who have a "direct and tangible" interest in the record. The only exception is divorce records more than 50 years old which are considered public and are open to the public.

Copies of divorce records may only be obtained by the registrant, a member of his/her immediate family, or a representative with a "direct and tangible interest" such as an attorney. In order to determine if the "legal representative" may have access to the record, the direct and tangible interest must be listed in any written correspondence with a copy of such legal document being provided.

Definition of Immediate Family:  Mother, father, son, daughter, brother, sister, husband, wife, grandfather, grandmother, grandson, granddaughter, great-grandmother, great-grandfather, nephew, niece or any spouse of divorced or legally separated person or person whose former marriage has been annulled. It shall not include cousins.


The fees for a divorce certificate is $15.00 for the first copy and $10.00 for each additional copy requested at the same time for the same record.  Please make check or money order payable to the City of Manchester.  If you are coming in person, we also accept credit cards.  Please note that if you use a credit card, there is an additional fee of $1.95 or 2.75% of the transaction amount (whichever is greater).

Applying for a Certified Copy of a Divorce Certificate

In Person - You may come down to the Office of the City Clerk, One City Hall Plaza, Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  You will also need to provide photo identification and complete a request form.

Online - You may click on the “Purchase Divorce Certificates Online” button above.  You will be required to email a copy of your photo identification. 

By Mail - You may complete the application form Request for Divorce Decree and send with proper payment to the Office of the City Clerk, One City Hall Plaza, Manchester, NH 03101.  A self-addressed return envelope with the appropriate postage affixed is required to process all mail requests.

If the record is not found, the office will retain the $15.00 for each record requested, and notify you that the record was not found.

The State of NH requires a copy of valid photo identification for the individual applying for a copy of the divorce certificate before a record will be released.

If you do not have valid photo identification this documentary evidence form needs to be completed and the documents are to be provided.

Amending a Divorce Certificate

Sometimes a person may find that the information on the official divorce certificate is not correct or information is missing. If this is the case, you must contact the New Hampshire Division of Vital Records Administration.  Under no circumstances can the Office of the City Clerk amend your certificate.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact us at (603) 624-6455 or by with any questions you may have regarding obtaining divorce certificate.

Divorce Proceedings

In New Hampshire, divorces are handled through the Superior Court system. Please contact them, or a divorce attorney directly to schedule a hearing.