About the Program
A City partnership with residential property owners to expand Manchester's tree canopy
Click for Online Application
Click for Paper Application
Submit the paper application to:
Department of Public Works.
475 Valley Street
Manchester, NH 03103
- The City will offset 50% of the cost - up to $800 total per property - to purchase from our contracted vendor and professionally plant trees in approved locations.
- The City can plant between 25 and 30 trees per year.
- There is a limit of two trees per property over any 12 months.
- The planting schedule is established as applications are approved and payment is received.
- Property owners are responsible for the ongoing maintenance and care of trees.
- Residential properties include multi-family and apartment complexes and not commercial or institutional properties.
- The program cannot be used to meet Site Plan or Subdivision requirements.
- You must be the property owner or have written permission from the property owner to participate.
- The City does not guarantee the life span of the tree(s) planted. The City will not provide a refund of payment or replacement of tree(s).
Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Benefits of Green Streets
- Better mental health
- Cleaner air
- Greater biodiversity
- Improved water quality
- Lower summer temperatures
- Decreased cooling costs
- Reduced stormwater runoff
Tree(s) must be visible from the street.
- On the street-facing side of the property
- Within 10 feet from the back of the right-of-way
- In planting areas between the curb and sidewalk of at least 4 feet
- At least 30 feet away from an intersection/stop sign
- In tree wells no smaller than 4 feet by 6 feet
- At least 5-10 feet away from above-ground and underground utilities
- At least 5 feet from neighboring property
- In an unfenced area
Approved Tree Species and Costs
The diversity of our urban tree population is essential.
A variety of trees within a city creates a resilient urban forest with less potential for devastating effects from a pest or disease.
Our focus is to help you get the right species in the right places with the right care so that the trees survive and thrive.
American Beech (Fagus grandifolia) $1555.00 per tree; property owner pays $777.50 for the first tree and $2310.00 for two.
American Chestnut (Castanea dentata)not available for purchase at this time
American Elm (Ulmus Americana) $1055.00 per tree; property owner pays $527.50 for the first tree and $1310.00 for two.
American Hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana)$1355.00 per tree, property owner pays $677.50 for the first tree and $1910.00 for two.
Crabapple Cultivars (Malus)$1075.00 per tree, property owner pays $537.50 for the first tree and $1350.00 for two.
Dawn Redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides)$1050.00 per tree, property owner pays $525.00 for the first tree and $1300.00 for two.
Hophornbeam/Ironwood (Ostrya virginiana)$1415.00 per tree, property owner pays $707.50 for the first tree and $2030.00 for two.
Japanese Tree Lilac (Syringa reticulate)$1355.00 per tree, property owner pays $677.50 for the first tree and $1910.00 for two.
Maidenhair Tree (Ginkgo biloba)$1675.00 per tree, property owner pays $875.00 for the first tree and $2550.00 for two.
Northern Red Oak (Quercus rubra)$1205.00 per tree, property owner pays $602.50 for the first tree and $1610.00 for two.
Northern White Cedar (Thuja ocidentalis)$835.00 per tree, property owner pays $417.50 for the first tree and $870.00 for two.
Sargent's Cherry (Prunus sargentii)$1025.00 per tree, property owner pays $512.50 for the first tree and $1250.00 for two.
Thornless Honey-Locust (Gleditsia triacanthos f. inermis)$1205.00 per tree, property owner pays $602.50 for the first tree and $1610.00 for two.
White Oak (Quercus alba)$1105.00 per tree, property owner pays $552.50 for the first tree and $1410.00 for two.
White Spruce (Picea glauca)$1245.00 per tree, property owner pays $622.50 for the first tree and $1690.00 for two.
Click on this link for the brochure.
Click on this link for the tree care instructions.