Home » Departments » Police » Legal and Professional Standards » Records


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain a Concealed Weapons Permit?

You must complete an application consisting of current and past employment, work and residence information, and the names and addresses of three references. A copy of a valid driver's or non-driver's ID must be attached. Once submitted, the process takes 10 to 14 business days. A $10.00 fee is due upon approval and the permit issued.

How do I obtain a Record Check?

Only you can request a copy of your Criminal/Motor Vehicle record. All criminal record checks are done at the NH State Police Criminal Records Department, (603-223-3867). The Concord office is open M-F 8:15 to 4:00. A photo ID and a $25 fee is required to obtain a copy of the record.  All motor vehicle record checks are done through the DMV.

What information will my Record Check contain?

A criminal record check will contain all criminal offenses and misdemeanor mv offenses from 2005 to present.  Both mv offenses and criminal offenses remain on the criminal record until they are annulled and are released depending on the reason the record is needed.  Convictions and non convictions are tracked for both criminal and vehicle records.

How do I have fingerprints taken?

Civilian fingerprinting for employment, visas, immigration, citizenship and other purposes is done at the police department Tuesday - Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m... When entering the lobby of the police station go to the Records window on the right where a Records Specialist can process your request. The fee for this service is set by city ordinance and is $20 per card.  Civilians must supply their own fingerprint card and we do not facilitate "live scan" fingerprinting.  Manchester Police Department only performs "ink" fingerprints.

What is "Game of Chance"?

Gambling for non-profit organizations such as Monte Carlo events requires a permit issued by the State of New Hampshire Pari-Mutuel Commission. Contact 603-271-2158 or http://racing.nh.gov/ for more information regarding the permit process. Once approved for the non-profit event, a police officer must be hired for the event and may be done so by contacting the PD at 603-628-6255.

How do I get copies of an Incident Report?

Requests may be made in writing either by request forms obtained at the Police Station or by letter from an individual or Insurance Co., etc. The City Ordinance governs fees and the fee is $1.00 per page and $0.50 for each additional page, with the exception that victims of domestic violence may obtain their reports free of charge.

Incident reports are individually reviewed for release to ensure that we are in compliance with the laws and regulations governing the release of reports.  Edited copies may be released in certain cases.  Any questions pertaining to the release can be answered by our record clerks.

How do I obtain a Domestic Violence Petition (DVP)/Restraining Order?

You need to apply at the District Court in your City or Town. The order must then be brought to the local police. Advocates are available to help with the process.  If you are seeking a Domestic Violence Petitions after hours, you can contact your local police department to request assistance in obtaining an emergency DVP.  If you need assistance from the Manchester Police Department in this regard, you can come to the station at 405 Valley Street and ask to speak to a supervisor about obtaining an emergency DVP or you can call 603-668-8711 and ask to speak to the Officer in Charge who can provide you with further direction.

How is the protective order served?

The order can only be served in hand (in person) by a police officer. The order can be served at place of employment or residence. The order will be served as timely as possible. All reasonable attempts are made to locate the defendant. The petition is NOT IN EFFECT until served to the defendant. If problems arise prior to service being made, the plaintiff should contact their local authorities and advise them of the problem at hand. Service of the petition will be attempted at that time.

What happens if an address is not available for DVP service?

All unserved restraining orders that do not contain a valid address remain on file at the police station. Officers have access to these orders 24 hours a day should an address become available. The plaintiff is advised to notify the station of any updated information.

What do I do once a DVP has been served?

The temporary restrictions must be followed by the defendant and plaintiff until appearance in court. You need to appear in court on the date listed on the petition to address charges. The court then decides whether or not the order will continue or be revoked.  If the Defendant in a DVP has contact with you or otherwise violates the provisions in the DVP, you should contact yoru local police immediately.  If it is an emergency situation, call 911.

What if the DVP is not served prior to the court date?

The plaintiff must still appear in court on the specified date. A hearing cannot be held without the defendant's presence. The court may then issue a new court date and continue the temporary orders.