Home » Departments » Police » Juvenile Unit

Juvenile Unit

The Juvenile Unit is tasked with investigating crimes committed against or by juveniles. The juvenile unit covers two shifts that work from 7:00 AM through 11:30 PM.

The supervisors assigned to the juvenile unit are:

The investigators are assigned to four different areas of expertise:

Child Abuse and Sexual Exploitation Unit (ChASE)

Responsible for investigating cases of Sexual and Physical abuse against children.


Criminal Cases/Missing Children

Internet Crimes Against Children (ICAC) / Computer Forensics

Computer-related crimes

 School Resource Officers    (September through June)

Frequently Asked Questions

What defines a delinquent offender?

A delinquent is any person under 18 who commits any act that would constitute a felony or a misdemeanor if committed by an adult. Possible consequences for juveniles who commit a delinquent act are counsel and release, a case referred to the Office of Youth Services for counseling or community service, diversion through MPAL (Manchester Police Athletic League), or they can be petitioned to court.

  • Any youth 12 or older can be summonsed to adult court for possession of tobacco.
  • Any youth 16 or older can be summoned to adult court for motor vehicle-related offenses, alcohol-related offenses, aeronautics laws, boating laws, fish and game laws, laws relating to fireworks, or town ordinances where the fine does not exceed $100.
  • A juvenile can be certified to stand trial in adult court for certain crimes.

If I think a child is being abused, am I obligated to contact someone, and if so, whom should I call?

YES. Per RSA 169-C:29, any person MUST report his or her suspicions that a child is or has been abused or neglected. Reports of abuse and neglect can be made to the Division of Children, Youth, and Families (800-894-5533) or your local police department (911 in an emergency). Police departments are often notified during non-business hours and on weekends.

What is the “Safe Haven” Law in New Hampshire?

Per RSA 132-A:2, A hospital or safe haven, without a court order, shall take temporary care and control of a child who is not more than seven days old, provided that the child is handed to a person at the hospital or safe haven by the child's parent or parents, and the parent or parents did not express an intent to return for the child. The child's parent or parents shall not be required to reveal personally identifiable information.  A Safe Haven is defined as a Police station, Fire station, or Church, and the infant must be turned over to an employee at any of those institutions.

Who can I call if my child is "stubborn and unruly" or has run away from home?

Reports of a missing child are made to your local police department. Be prepared to give a photo of your child to the officer taking the report and a full description. The missing youth is released through N.C.I.C (National Crime Information Center). Please contact the department if you have filed a missing juvenile report, and your child has since returned home or was located by a family member. Upon returning home or apprehension of the youth, he/she is canceled from NCIC.

Truancy issues should be relayed to the child’s school administration. Issues involving stubborn or unruly behavior should be relayed to DCYF. If your child is acting disorderly and is becoming a danger to him or herself, call the police for assistance. Furthermore, the Office of Youth Services is a city organization designed to assist families with troubled children by offering counseling, referrals, and other programs. They can be reached at (603) 624-6470.


What can I expect from the Juvenile Division if I am the victim of the juvenile act?

All cases involving juveniles are reviewed and considered for assignment to one of the detectives who handle juvenile crime. There are currently 14 investigators assigned to the Juvenile Unit. Three are assigned to the CHASE Unit (Child Abuse and Sexual Exploitation) to exclusively handle abuse/neglect cases when juveniles are victims of this type of crime. Four other detectives are assigned to primarily handle delinquent crimes, and eight investigators are assigned throughout the city as School Resource Officers (SROs).

Cases are naturally prioritized from serious to less serious. Serious crimes against persons and/or if there is a risk that the suspect will flee and commit additional crimes to take precedence over other cases. You can expect the Detective assigned to your case to attempt to interview the suspect and any witnesses you may have listed or witnesses the Detective may have identified. Be prepared to be patient and understand that juvenile matters are very confidential.

If my child is arrested or charged with delinquency, does he/she have to make bail?

No. After a juvenile is charged with an offense, in most cases, he or she is released to a parent or guardian. When the crime is very serious (such as a domestic assault), the juvenile may be held at the Youth Detention Services Unit or in a shelter care facility until the next court session.

The detective will consider the seriousness of the offense and the possibility that the juvenile will harm others or himself/herself or flee the community when deciding if a juvenile will be detained.

Can I have my child emancipated as an adult in NH?

NO. There is no emancipation law in the state of New Hampshire. The age of minorities for criminal offenses is 18 in the State of New Hampshire. For child services, such as stubborn and unruly or running away, the age remains at 18 years old.