Home » Departments » City Clerk » Licenses and Permits » Business License

Business License

A business or business activity required to file includes: all food-service establishments from coffee shops to supermarkets; high-impact retail stores - businesses which are accessible to the public where food, goods, merchandise or equipment is sold at retail and where tobacco, tobacco paraphernalia, smoking paraphernalia, including products that contain nicotine, liquid nicotine, vapors or inhalants and/or involve the on-site inhaling or smoking of such products, and/or lottery tickets are sold; peddlers; hawkers, dealers of junk, old metals or second-hand articles; pawnbrokers; hotels, motels, or bed and breakfasts; tattoo and body piercing establsihments; farmer's markets; taxicab companies; taxicab drivers; companies engaged in towing motor vehicles without the consent or authorization of the owner or operator; employment offices; circuses; carnivals; performers and exhibitors; arcades; dances, dance halls; entertainment places of assembly; fairs; festivals and most other special events.

It is always recommended, however, to call the Business Licensing and Enforcement Division of the Office of the City Clerk at (603) 624-6348 to determine if your business or activity requires a license.

License applications may be obtained at the Office of the City Clerk or you may download:


Business license costs vary depending on your specific activity. Any questions regarding the necessity of obtaining a license or the fees and specific regulations can be answered by a representative of the Business Licensing & Enforcement Division of the Office of the City Clerk at (603) 624-6348.