Home » Departments » Tax Collector » Tax FAQ

Tax FAQs

What is the tax rate for the City of Manchester, NH?

For information on Tax Rates. Please see one of the following Real Estate Process page. The Board Of Assessors' Office, or Finance Department. You could also visit the Department of Revenue Administration Tax Rates page.

Is there an elderly exemption on Real Estate Taxes for people over 65?

Elderly Exemptions are issued by the Board Of Assessors' Office.

What period of time does my tax bill cover?

Your Real Estate Tax Bill does not cover any specific time period. The first bill is based on half of the previous year’s tax rate.  It is a partial bill for the current levy year assessment.  The second bill is determined by the new tax rate (issued in October) and any adjustments of the assessment (if any) which can cause an increase or decrease in the tax bill. The tax year, aka levy year starts April 1, and ends March 31 of the following year.

When should I expect to receive my tax bill?

The City of Manchester’s billing year starts April 1, and ends March 31 the following year. Property taxes are billed semi-annually and due 30 days thereafter.  Tax bills are mailed early June due in July and late November, due in December. 

Can I find information about my Tax Bill online?

For account information, bills and payments Access Your Tax Account OnLine

Go to City Of Manchester NH Public GIS Map Viewer for more property information.

 For assessed values visit Property Valuation Listings 

Who is eligible for Veteran property tax discount?  I was wondering if I was eligible being a veteran?

Visit Exemptions and Credits.

What methods of payment do you accept?

We accept these forms of payment:

  • Cash
  • Checks
  • Money Orders
  • Bank Checks
  • Travelers Checks
  • Credit cards (Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express®, and Discover® credit and debit cards).

The City of Manchester, NH has several different departments, each being responsible for the collection of accounts pertaining to their field of work. If you receive bills from different departments, please make sure you do not combine payments on one check.

I do not agree with my real estate assessment, who do I speak to?

Please contact the Board of Assessors' Office.

I never received my real estate bill, how would I obtain a copy?

 Access Your Tax Account Online

If there is an incorrect mailing address you will have to change your address with the Board Of Assessors' Office to receive future tax bills.

What is a current use assessment?

See the Current Use page.

I need a duplicate receipt for my taxes, how and where do I obtain one?

A receipt can be requested at the time of payment free of charge.

You can also submit a Receipts Request Form by mail or in person.  The cost is $2 per property for each year requested. 

How do I apply for a refund if my taxes have been overpaid?

If your account has been paid twice and you would like a refund, please submit the following:

  • Description of property in question (address, account number, and/or map/lot number).
  • Copy of the front and back of each check submitted for payment.
  • Statement from each party agreeing as to whom and where the refund will be sent.

How Do I Find Out What Date My Taxes Were Paid?

Visit Access Your Tax Account Online, enter your account information, then click on Printable Bills & History.  For prior years paid dates, select the Tax Year.

What Is An Excavation Tax/ Gravel Tax?

Find out about the Excavation Tax / Gravel Tax.

I need a copy of a lien release, how and where do I obtain one?

You can visit our office or email us at Taxcollector@manchesternh.gov  Download a copy of the  Tax Lien Release Form the fee is $10.00 per each property for research plus $2.00 for each receipt you are requesting.

If you are requesting a copy of a Lien Release by mail, please indicate the property owner and location, and tax years needed for the Release.

My real estate bill has the wrong mailing address, how do I change it?

If the address on your bill is incorrect, please complete an address change with the Board Of Assessors'.

I would like to know if non-profit corporations are exempt from real estate taxes?

Yes, there are certain exemptions for non-profit corporations but they need to meet a certain criterion. For more information, contact Board Of Assessors' Office.

What do I do if I receive my real estate bill in the wrong name?

If you just purchased the property it may 30 or more days before the recording of the Deed reaches our Assessors' Office. Once they receive the property ownership transfer, our records will be updated to reflect the new owner (s) information.  

If there is spelling error, please contact the  Board Of Assessors' Office for correction.

What is a Timber Tax/ YieldTax?

See Timber Tax/  Yield Tax for more information.

What is a central business service district tax?