There's always something going on, either in our facility or out on the town!
The Senior Services staff work hard to make sure our patrons stay active and informed. Stay current by attending our classes and seminars. Have some fun with games and crafts. Or just sit back and enjoy the company of others. There's plenty going on...
- Social events – theme parties – functions:
Special luncheons, entertainment, dancing, and social events are held monthly to give people the opportunity to network and enjoy the camaraderie of others.
- Line Dancing:
Enjoy Line Dancing with Jeannette. Fun Group. Great Music.
- Advanced Line Dancing and Beginning Line Dancing is offered twice a week for those interested in learning the skill and getting some great exercise. This dance class offers the individual the chance to dance in a well choreographed group to a variety of different line-dancing speeds.
Clinics include blood pressure screenings, foot clinics, diabetic shoe clinics, and various health screenings. Health professionals from area agencies come to provide care, services, and educational information.
- Senior Fitness:
Exercise programs are offered to help meet the needs of a variety of people. Basic exercise class with Tracey; easily modified to meet individual needs.
- For those who enjoy a livelier way to exercise we have Zumba Gold. Zumba is known for the zesty Latin music, the easy-to-follow moves and the invigorating party-like atmosphere. Zumba Gold takes the Zumba formula and modifies the moves and pacing to suit the needs of the active older participants, as well as those just starting their journey to a fit and healthy lifestyle. Zumba is a fun dance fitness class. We offer the Zumba Gold class with certified instructor Tracey. With either session your first class is FREE. Walk-in and give it a try.
- Workout Warrior's is an exercise group taught in small group setting where members will be led through a variety of exercises to promotes Flexibility, Muscular Endurance, and Muscular Strength at a constant pace also providing some cardiovascular benefits. This class is limited in size so interested members need to sign-up at the front desk. Mark is an Personal Trainer through the International Sports Sciences Association and also has completed the Senior Fitness certification course.
- Fitness Room- Our Fitness room is available to members of the William B. Cashin Senior Activity Center who have completed an fitness room orientation with a qualified fitness trainer at the senior center. The fitness room has two treadmills, ARC trainer, Recumbent bike, Dual Cable Workout machine, TRX suspension training system, medicine balls, bosu balls, dumbell weights and a bench for exercising.
- Others may want to experience the physical, mental & spiritual practices or disciplines which originate from Yoga. The ultimate goal of yoga is a state of permanent peace and postures of yoga are used to alleviate health problems and reduce stress. Yoga is also used as a complete exercise program and physical therapy routine. Come in and meet Georgette and she will enhance your life through the ancient art of Yoga.
- Tai Chi and Qui Gong are also provided provided at the Senior Center to promote serenity, balance, mindfulness as well as improve balance and range of motion. No prior experience is required as Megan will adapt the movements for people of all abilities.
- Card Games, Bingo, Mah Jongg, Word Games, Billiards and Puzzles:
Various games offer fun, stimulating, brain exercising opportunities, not to mention the opportunity to get together with friends. They are an excellent way to network and meet new people and reacquaint with old ones.
- Art Classes:
Various art classes are taught which include acrylic painting, adult coloring, and knitting and crocheting. More art classes and workshops are added throughout the year.
- Wii: Computer, video, and software games are not just for kids anymore! Wii bowling is offered for teams to have some fun and friendly competition. Players are able to learn how to bowl, compete in league bowling, and enjoy an awards banquet at the end of a 10 week tournament. It’s interactive, fun, and exciting.
Trips (both day and overnight) are offered and details are posted at the Center. Day trips include such activities such as foliage rides, dinner and show trips, New England beach tours, ocean excursions, to name a few. Leave the driving, parking and arrangements to us and join friends for a carefree day. Advanced registration and deposit is required for trips.
Information on many topics such as legal information, health and wellness, fuel assistance, volunteer opportunities, politics, advocacy and more can be obtained. Depending on the presenter and/or the topic registration may be requested.
- Computer Classes and Free Computer Time:
Computer classes are offered free of charge and cover the basics through intermediate topics. Free computer time is available in the lab so one may connect with family and friends and “surf the web” for educational information.
St. Joseph Community Services provides the 11:30am meal as community dining. The meal is nutritionally complete and will cater to special dietary needs.
- Drop In Time:
Dropping in to see friendly faces and join in the laughter is important to stay connected to the community. Share news, discuss events, and keep abreast of so much educational information.
Please check our calendar for specific dates and times.