The City collects trash curbside along public streets throughout Manchester. Crews collect trash from approximately 24,000 residential and commercial stops every week, providing service to over 100,000 customers. Over 37,000 tons of trash are collected in a typical year.
Start Trash Collection
To initiate service, simply place materials on your collection day in accordance with the rules and limitations below.
Find Your Trash and Recycling Collection Schedule
When is my trash picked up
Ordinances and Regulations
Manchester's solid waste ordinances were recently updated, including DPW's Regulations. Updates include a universal requirement to place trash in a City-approved trash cart. Enforcement is now in effect.
City Approved Trash Carts
City-approved trash carts must be purchased. Carts can be purchased at the Drop Off Facility or through our secure online ordering system.
To accommodate the occasional week when occupants of a property may have more trash than will fit in their green cart(s), the City has introduced an overflow collection policy. The options below are available only to RESIDENTIAL properties and only on a property's REGULAR COLLECTION DAY.
- Trash must be in DPW-issued Overflow Collection Bags*
- Bag contents must weigh under 40 lbs
- Maximum bags per calendar year:
- Single-family homes: 4 bags
- Two-family homes: 8 bags
- Properties of three or more units: 12 bags
*Overflow Collection Bags are extra-large (32 in X 42 in), specially-marked, orange contractor bags. They may be obtained for free from the Department of Public Works, 475 Valley Street, during regular business hours. Proof of residency is required. The distribution of bags is restricted to the above-mentioned limits.
Rules and Limitations
Municipal curbside collection of trash is subject to State and local regulations designed to protect the safety of collection crews, minimize the use of landfills, and prevent hazardous wastes from damaging environmental resources.
- Place trash inside a City trash cart (now mandatory for all municipal customers)
- Carts must be placed in a location that allows for access by collection equipment and crews:
- at least two feet from other carts, trees, mailboxes, parked vehicles, and misc. objects;
- not behind vehicles, other carts, or misc. objects;
- not obstructed by snowbanks.
- Place trash at the edge of the road, without blocking sidewalks or access to your recycling cart, by 7 AM of your collection day - Empty containers shall be removed from the right-of-way, and stored on the property to which they belong, no later than 6 PM on the day of collection.
- Carts must be placed at the edge of the road, on the street side of the curb (if present); they must not block the sidewalk.
- Carts must be placed in front of the property at which the trash was generated, unless an alternative placement has been agreed to by DPW.
- For bulky items, such as furniture and appliances, schedule an appointment (fees apply)
- Where availability of on-street parking is adversely affected, DPW may require that carts be placed in front of the owner’s driveway or along a nearby stretch of street where parking is prohibited.
Happens when all of the trash does not fit into the trash cart with the trash cart lid completely closed.
- Carts must be situated with handle and wheels facing away from the street.
- Cart lids must be fully closed.
- Limit the weight of trash in any one container to 75 pounds
- Construction/demolition debris
- Electronics with video displays, video recorders/players, and hard drives
- Hazardous materials and wastes (including mercury-containing products)
- Infectious or radioactive wastes
Consult What Goes Where? to see how to dispose of these and other items.
Alternative Disposal Options
The City's transfer station accepts most wastes and recyclables generated in Manchester, including many materials not collected curbside.
Hazardous waste is not collected curbside. Residents may bring household products to one of the semi-annual collection events, held on the second Saturdays of May and October.
City of Manchester Trash Carts
Roll-out trash carts in 35g, 65g, and 95g sizes may be purchased at the Drop-Off Facility. Carts come with a limited, ten-year warranty from the date of manufacture.
Did you know?
City crews collect trash from approximately 24,000 residential and commercial stops every week, providing service to over 100,000 customers. Over 37,000 tons of trash are collected in a typical year.