The City collects trash curbside along public streets throughout Manchester. To initiate service, simply place materials on your collection day in accordance with the rules and limitations below.
Please note - Manchester's solid waste ordinances were recently updated. Updates include a universal requirement to place trash in a City-approved trash cart. This is a new requirement for single-family and two-family residences. Enforcement is now in effect.
City-approved trash carts must be purchased. Now through December 31st, owners/tenants of single-family and two-family homes are eligible for a 50% discount. Visit our secure online ordering system to verify eligibility and purchase your discounted cart(s) by credit card.
Rules and Limitations
Municipal curbside collection of trash is subject to State and local regulations designed to protect the safety of collection crews, minimize the use of landfills, and prevent hazardous wastes from damaging environmental resources.
- Place trash inside a City trash cart (now mandatory for all municipal customers)
- Limit the weight of trash in any one container to 75 pounds
- Follow guidelines on syringes and sharps by enclosing them in a rigid, secured and labeled container
- Always enclose pet waste, diapers, feminine hygiene products, saw dust, and ashes (cold only) within a securely-tied plastic bag
- Place trash at the edge of the road, without blocking sidewalks or access to your recycling cart, by 7 AM of your collection day
- For bulky items, such as furniture and appliances, schedule an appointment (fees apply)
The following placement rules apply to carts:
- Construction/demolition debris
- Electronics with video displays, video recorders/players, and hard drives
- Hazardous materials and wastes (including mercury-containing products)
- Infectious or radioactive wastes
Consult What Goes Where? to see how to dispose of these and other items.
Alternative Disposal Options
The City's transfer station accepts most wastes and recyclables generated in Manchester, including many materials not collected curbside.
Hazardous waste is not collected curbside. Residents may bring household products to one of the semi-annual collection events, held on the second Saturdays of May and October.
Roll-out trash carts in 35g, 65g, and 95g sizes may be purchased at the Drop Off Facility. Carts come with a limited, ten-year warranty from the date of manufacture.
Did you know?
City crews collect trash from approximately 24,000 residential and commercial stops every week, providing service to over 100,000 customers. Over 37,000 tons of trash are collected in a typical year.