The Highway Division of the Department of Public Works oversees the design, installation and maintenance of City infrastructure, as well as the collection of trash, recyclables and yard waste.
Trash, Recycling and Yard Waste
Determine your collection days and learn about the Drop Off Facility, Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events, Christmas tree pickup, and more.
View snow emergency announcements, learn about winter parking restrictions, and get helpful tips for improving services during and after storms.
Keep abreast of road closures and repairs, and take advantage of the 50/50 Program to defray the cost of new sidewalk and curb installation.
Permits and Records
Consult our database of maps and plans, view our standard specifications, and apply for permits to work in the right-of-way or connect to City sewerage.
Did You Know?
The Highway Division:
- Manages over 150 traffic signals and 9,000 street lights
- Performs street-sweeping of over 400 miles of streets
- Removes snow from over 650 miles of streets and sidewalks
- Collects over 50,000 tons of trash, recyclables and yard waste each year
- Keeps stormwater flowing through 10,000 catch basins and 200 miles of pipe
- Continually repairs and improves roadways throughout Manchester
Operations are run out of the new municipal complex on Valley Street. The division receives citizen input from the Highway Commission.
Highway Division personnel are continually working to upgrade City infrastructure and improve operational efficiency. Recent, current, and future projects include:
- installation of 9,000 energy-efficient LED light fixtures
- a comprehensive paving plan to improve Manchester's public streets
- integration of a "see click fix" online widget to improve customer service
- ongoing major re-design of our web pages to improve user experience