What is Asthma?
Asthma is a chronic disease of the respiratory system that can be controlled, but not cured.
Read more about "What is Asthma?"
Take the Asthma Control Test. Answer five simple questions to help you better control your asthma.
How to Live with Asthma
Strategies for your home! Asthma Environmental Guide.
Manchester Asthma Education and Outreach Program
The City of Manchester Health Department, in collaboration with other community agencies, have developed the Manchester Asthma Education and Outreach Program to provide families with education and outreach services in the home setting for children age 1-18 years who have been diagnosed with asthma. The program is accepting Manchester families for program services.
Our Asthma Educators assist families in understanding how to manage their child’s asthma, their child's asthma medications, and how the environment can effect asthma. Most importantly, the Asthma Educators can help you to get your child’s asthma under control. Please call (603) 624-6466 to make an appointment.
The following brochure has been produced by Manchester's Asthma Education and Outreach Program.
English - Breathe Easy Brochure
Spanish - Breathe Easy Brochure
Asthma Treatment Guidelines - Information for Health Professionals
Books and Videos
The following books are available for FREE from the lending library of New Hampshire Family Voices. Books are sent through the mail, with a return envelope, and are available to families, educators, and professionals.
Call 1-800-852-3345, Ext. 4525, (603) 271-4525, or click on the link above for a complete listing.
- Sesame Street: A is for Asthma (Video in English and Spanish)
- Winning Against Asthma (Video for children)
- The Lion who had Asthma, by Jonathan London
- Allie the Allergic Elephant, by Nicole Smith
- You have Asthma too, by Nancy Sander
- Once Upon a Breath, by Aaron Zevy
- Determined to Win: Children Living with Allergies and Asthma, by Thomas Bergman
- Taking Asthma to Camp, by Kim Gosselin
- Taking Asthma to School, by Kim Gosselin
- Zooallergy, by Kim Gosselin
- How to get Quality Care for a Child with Special Health Needs, by Georgianna Larson & Judith Kahn
- Managing Allergies and Asthma at School: Tips for School Teachers and Staff, by National Inst. Of Allergy
- All About Asthma, by William Ostrow and Vivian Ostrow
- Children with Asthma: A Manual for Parents, by Thomas Plaut
- Luke has Asthma Too, by Alison Rogers
- Winning Over Asthma, by Eileen Dolan Savage
- Lee's Tough Time Rhyme, by Susanne Swanson
- Asthma: The Complete Guide to Self-Management of Asthma and Allergies for Parents and Families, by Allen Weinstein, MD
- Breathe Easy- Young Peoples Guide to Asthma, by Jonathan Weiss, PhD
Education and Support Services for Families and Patients
Housing and In-Home Interventions
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
Medical Management Department 1-800-422-2940
Case Management and Home Visits for their clients
1-800-249-6512 Well Aware Program, Mon-Sat 8:30am-8:30pm.
Provides out-patient telephone follow-up calls and educational mailings.
Medications and Equipment
- NH Medication Bridge Program
Assists with financial cost of medications for children and adults for FREE.
Manchester Catholic Charities:
(603) 669-3030 Service/Intake
(603) 624-4736 FAX
- Meds for Manchester 603-663-8752
National & Statewide Resources
School and Workplace Interventions