All applications must be submitted through the City of Manchester, Human Resources Department, at 1 City Hall Plaza, Manchester, NH 03101. Applications may be requested by contacting the Human Resources Department at (603) 624-6543 or go to their website to learn more and to download an application.
MEN and WOMEN who meet the qualifications may compete in the exam process. Applications must be received at the Human Resources Department. There is a $25.00 non-refundable application fee (check or money order only), which must be submitted along with the application, made payable to the “City of Manchester Human Resources Department.” Additionally, copies of the following must also be included with your application: birth certificate, high school diploma or GED, driver’s license, and DD Form 214 (certificate of discharge from military active duty).
- Complete the City of Manchester Employment Application (see above link to download) .
- Attach a copy of your birth certificate, high school diploma or GED, driver's license and DD Form 214.
- Mail the application along with a $25.00 non-refundable check or money order to:
Department of Human Resources
One City Hall Plaza
Manchester, NH 03101
Automatic Disqualifiers for Employment
- Used marijuana within 12 months.
- Illegally used a controlled substance, other than marijuana, within 36 months; unless the applicant was under 21 years of age at the time of use, in which case 24 months shall apply.
- Manufactured, transported for sale, or sold a controlled substance.
- Used a controlled substance while employed in a law enforcement capacity.
- Been dishonorably discharged from military service.
- Been convicted of a felony.
- Been convicted of a misdemeanor involving dishonesty, unlawful sexual conduct, physical violence, controlled substances, moral turpitude, or any offense that would cause a reasonable person to doubt the applicant's character, honesty, or ability.
Manchester Police Department
405 Valley Street
Manchester, NH 03103
- High school diploma or GED
- Applicants must be 21 years of age by the date of the written test.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Valid driver's license at time of appointment.
Physical Agility Test
The Manchester Police Department will administer the physical agility test. In order to participate, you must first sign a waiver, which will be available on the date of the test at the testing location.
All candidates must pass each of the four events. The test has been designed to measure the ability to perform physically demanding tasks encountered in job performance. Please click physical agility requirements to view the minimum qualifications.
- The starting pay for a Manchester Police Officer is $48,401.60.
- Health Insurance - **Regular, full-time employees are eligible to receive health insurance thirty (30) days within their date of hire, or the first of the month following the date of hire.
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Basic Term Life Benefit
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Long Term Disability Income Protection Insurance
- Health Care Reimbursement Plan
- Dependent Care Reimbursement Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Time Off
- Sick Leave
- 11 Holiday/year
State Retirement System
Eligible uniformed Police and Fire employees are enrolled in the State of New Hampshire Retirement System (NHRS). The NHRS is a public employee pension plan qualified as a tax exempt organization under Section 401(a) and 501((a) of the Internal Revenue Code. It provides retirement, disability, and death protection to its members and their beneficiaries. Contributions vary on an annual basis. The current rate is 11.55% of annual gross income. Retirement benefits are specifically determined by a formula, which considers two variables: a member's salary credit and a member's service credit.
Those candidates who successfully complete the written test (with a passing score of 70%) will advance to the physical agility test. Upon successful completion of the physical agility test, candidates will advance to a scheduled comprehensive interview. If all three phases are successfully completed by the candidate, a background investigation may follow. Candidates will be placed on a one-year eligibility list.
Candidates who have criminal convictions for serious offenses will be ineligible for appointment.
Once a conditional offer of probationary employment has been made, applicants must successfully complete a polygraph examination, a psychological exam, a thorough medical examination, and a personal interview with the Chief.
- Must be at least 21 years of age prior to the date of the written exam, and must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Applicants’ eyesight must be at least 20/30, corrected; near vision at least 20/40 in each eye corrected without contact lenses or glasses, and 20/200 uncorrected. Successful long term soft contact lens wearers are not subject to the uncorrected criterion. This waiver is extended to hard lenses if successful use has been documented. Normal color and depth perception essential. Any condition which interferes with acuity or puts the eyes at risk shall result in disqualification or deferment.
- Must possess hearing sufficient to enable performance of essential job functions.
- No tattoos visible on any portion of the head, face, neck, or hands.
- Upon appointment, candidates must obtain a driver's license in accordance with New Hampshire statutes governing driver's licenses and registrations.
- Candidates will be required to obtain police officer certification within the time frame established by the New Hampshire Police Standards and Training Council.
- The Manchester Police Patrolman's Association has a shift by seniority clause in their current contract.
- All appointees will sign an agreement indicating that you will remain employed with the Manchester Police Department for a minimum of 3 years. If you leave prior to completing 3 years, you agree to reimburse the city of Manchester for your training costs.
- A history of criminal or unethical behavior will cause an applicant to be ineligible for further consideration. Please view Automatic Disqualifiers.