THE MANCHESTER CITY DIRECTORY FOR 1869
The Manchester City Directory for 1869 is a transcription from an original copy. The entries have been abbreviated due space considerations. After the name of a street, the word "street" has been omitted. Please note that not every family member is listed in the directory - only those individuals who were adult males, employed, widowed or who owned property.
1869 City Directory Database
Amoskeag Village: Located across the Merrimack River, via the Falls Bridge. Originally, it was part of Goffstown until the area was annexed by the City of Manchester in 1853.
Bakersville: South end of Elm Street. Named after the Baker family whose farm was located there.
Bald-Hill Road: From Mammoth Road, easterly to Auburn, NH
Cemetery: Refers to the Valley Cemetery, bounded by Auburn, Pine, Valley and Willow Streets.
Corporation Housing: This refers to housing constructed by manufacturing companies such as Amoskeag, Stark, Manchester and Manchester Print Works for their workers. The brick buildings were built near the manufacturing facilities which were located along banks of the Merrimack River.
Elm Street: The primary business street running north and south
Goffs Falls: Located in south Manchester, north of Litchfield, NH
Hallsville: In the southeastern part of Manchester on Candia Road and the vicinity. Named after Joseph B. Hall.
Janesville: Between Bridge and Lowell Streets and Nashua and Wilson Streets. It was originally called the Village of Janesville.
Manchester Centre: This refers to the original town center located on Mammoth Road. It was the site of the first meeting house and early town meetings.
Moore's Village: Extreme south part of the city, near Goff's Falls
Piscataquog: Across the Merrimac River, now West Manchester. Originally, this section was part of Bedford, NH and was annexed by the City of Manchester in 1853.
Towlesville: Between Hanover Street and Lowell Street and Wilson Road and Maple Street.
Youngsville: Located at the junction of Hanover Street and Candia Road and extending to the Auburn, NH line.
|1879 MAP OF MANCHESTER
High School: Established in 1846 and located on Lowell Street, corner Beech Street. William W. Colburn, prinicipal. C. Augusta Gile and Mary E. Clough, assistants.
South Grammar School: Franklin Street, Isaac L. Heath, principal. Lucretia E. Manahan, Hannah A. Slade and Rebecca B. Gove, assistants
North Grammar School: Spring Street, Frank W. Parker, principal. Emma A.H. Brown, Betsey A. Ambrose and Martha B. Dinsmoor, assistants
East Grammar School: High-School Building, Julia A. Baker, principal. Mattie R. Kidder, assistant
Park-Street Grammar School: Park Street, Thomas Corcoran, principal
Intermediate School: Established in 1851 and located on Manchester Street. Samuel W. Clark, principal. Miss Fannie M. Smith, assistant.
No. 1: Blodgett Street, Sarah J. Green, teacher
No. 2: Concord Street, corner Beech Sreet, Mary L. Sleeper, teacher
No. 3: Merrimack Street, corner Union Street, Nancy S. Bunton, teacher
No. 4: Merrimack Street, corner Union Street, Mary J. Fife, teacher
No. 5: Franklin Street, Lottie R. Adams, teacher
No. 6: Spring Street, Nellie Sanderson
No. 7: Spring Street, Lizzie P. Gove, teacher
No. 12: Franklin Street, C. Augusta Abbott, teacher
No. 13: Wilson's Hill, Hattie L. Jones, teacher
No. 1: Lowell St., corner Chestnut, Mary E. Ireland, teacher
No. 2: Lowell St., Towlesville, Emily J. Parker, teacher
No. 3: Bridge St., corner Union St., Georgianna Dow, teacher
No. 4: Concord St., corner Beech St., Anstrice G. Flanders, teacher
No. 5: Merrimack St., corner Union St., Addie L. Hutchinson, teacher
No. 6: Merrimack St., corner Union St., Julia A. Clay, teacher
No. 7: Franklin St., Carrie Reed, teacher
No. 8: Franklin St., Marianna Clough, teacher
No. 9: Spring St., Adelaide B. Gove, teacher
No. 10: Spring St., Mary A. Richardson, teacher
No. 11: Manchester St., Helen M. Morrill, teacher
No. 12: Manchester St., Aramenta C. Edgerly, teacher
No. 13: Wilson Hill, Abbie E. Abbott, teacher
No. 14: Chestnut St., Emma A. McCoy, teacher
No. 21: Helen M. Hills
No. 1: North part of the city, Hooksett Road, M. Theora Flanders, teacher
No. 3: Bakersville and vicinity, Katie L. Porter, teacher
No. 4: Goff's Falls and vicinity, Etta M. George, teacher
No. 5: Southern portion of the city, east of District No. 4, Mattie S. Miller, teacher
No. 6: Webster's Mill neighborhood, Mary J. Reid, teacher
No. 7: Hallsville and vicinity, Maria H. Hildreth and Mary B. Lane, teacher
No. 8: Candia Road, near Massabesic, Anna S. Osgood, teacher
No. 9: Eastern part of the city on the Londonderry Road, Lana S. George, teacher
Grammar School: Annette McDoel, teacher and Mary A. Parker, assistant
South School: Laura J. Hamblett, teacher
East Primary: Sarah G. Lord, teacher
West Primary: Hattie A. Mack, teacher
Amoskeag Grammar: L.H. Dutton, teacher
Amoskeag Primary: Fannie E. Porter, teacher
Academy of Mount St. Mary's of Manchester, corner Union and Laurel Streets
First Methodist Episcopal Society, Manchester Centre: James Dean, Pastor
St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Society, Chapel of brick, Elm Street: D.C. Babcock, pastor
Universalist Society, brick house on Lowell Street: S.L. Roripaugh, pastor
First Congregational Society, Hanover Street: Cyrus W. Wallace, pastor
First Baptist Society, brick house on Manchester Street: Norman C. Mallory, pastor
First Free-Will Baptist Society, Elm Street, corner Pleasant: J.A. Knowles, pastor
Pine-Street Free-Will Baptist Church: N. Brooks, pastor
Unitarian Society, Merrimack Street, corner of Chestnut: A.M. Haskell, pastor
Grace Church Episcopal, Lowell Street, corner Pine Street: William J. Harris, rector
Franklin Street Church, brick house on Franklin Street: William J. Tucker, pastor
Merrimack Street Baptist Church, Merrimack Street
Elm Street Universalist Church, Elm Street between Concord and Amherst: B.M. Tillotson, pastor
St. Ann's Catholic Church, Union Street, corner Merrimack Street: William McDonald and John O'Brien, priests
Free Church, house erected by City Missionary Society in 1850: T.P. Sawin, pastor
Presbyterian Church, Main Street, Piscataquog
|Stark Mills Advertisement
|Amoskeag Mills Advertisement