Bulky items are furniture, appliances and other materials whose size or weight precludes standard curbside collection.
Curbside Collection by Appointment
You may request a curbside pickup of bulky items (maximum of five items per appointment) by submitting a completed Bulky Pickup Request Form along with applicable fee.
Examples of bulky items that qualify for curbside pickup include:
- chairs, couches and cribs
- exercise equipment
- free-standing shelves
- kitchen and laundry appliances
- mattresses and box springs
- rugs and carpets
Per State law or local ordinance, the following materials are not picked up curbside under the bulky item program:
- Construction/demolition debris (including doors, windows, cabinetry and bathroom fixtures)
- Electronics (including televisions, computers, monitors and VCRs)
- Landscaping materials such as rocks, concrete or wood
- Propane tanks, fire extinguishers or other pressurized containers
Many of these items may be disposed of at the Drop Off Facility. If you are unsure if a bulky item qualifies for curbside collection, consult What Goes Where or contact the Highway Division.
Disposal at the Drop Off Facility
Most bulky items, including many not collected curbside, may be disposed of at the Drop Off Facility. Fees are waived for a limited number of residential items and for scrap metal.
Free Residential Disposal of Bulky Items
Manchester residents are eligible for free disposal of up to ten bulky items each year. The following requirements and restrictions apply:
- Customer must possess a current residential facility permit (see fee schedule for details)
- Bulky items must come from the permit-holder's place of residence
Fee Waiver for Bulky Metal Items
There is no charge to either residential or commercial permit-holders to dispose of bulky items that are primarily metal.