last changed 12/31/2012
COMPOSITION, ELIGIBILITY AND TERM
- The board of aldermen shall be composed of fourteen (14) members, one each from the twelve wards of the city and two from the city at-large.
- Aldermen representing a ward shall be residents and qualified voters of the ward. Aldermen at-large shall be residents of the city.
- Aldermen shall be elected to serve a term of two years.
- The board of aldermen shall be the final judge of the election and qualifications of its members.
POWERS AND DUTIES
- The board of aldermen shall act as the policy making and legislative body for the city government.
- Unless a contrary intent or provision appears in this charter or in State law, the board of aldermen shall have all the powers and discharge all the duties conferred or imposed on city councils, boards of aldermen or selectmen of towns.
- The board of aldermen shall provide for the performance of all duties and obligations imposed on the city by this charter or State law.
- The board of aldermen shall nominate and appoint the city officers listed in Section 3.07 of this Charter.
POWER TO DELEGATE AUTHORITY
- The board of aldermen may delegate such of its powers as may be lawfully delegated to authorities, boards, commissions, departments or officers.
- The board of aldermen shall not, in the exercise of this power, decrease the administrative and executive powers of mayor and department heads as granted by this charter.
- Should a vacancy occur in the office of mayor, the aldermen shall elect a mayor, who shall serve until the next regularly scheduled election for the office of mayor, and until his successor is duly elected and qualified.
- Should a vacancy occur in the office of alderman, the remaining members shall call a special election in the ward in which the vacancy shall have occurred, to fill the vacancy.
- Should a vacancy occur in the office of commissioner of welfare or school committee-man, the board of aldermen shall fill the vacancy until an election is held.
- Regular meetings of the board of mayor and aldermen shall be held at least monthly as provided by ordinance.
- Special meetings of the board of mayor and aldermen may be called by the mayor or eight (8) of Manchester, NH Code of Ordinances American Legal Publishing Corporation 8 the aldermen.
- The board of mayor and aldermen shall provide a period of public comment at least monthly.
- Manchester, NH City Charter