City of Manchester, NH Official Website

How to Apply

Please read the following before applying for assistance.  At the bottom of this page, you can download an application.

The Manchester, NH City Welfare Department provides temporary emergency assistance to city residents for the basic necessities of life when no other resource is available. Assistance is rendered in voucher form only.

The Welfare Department also operates a work program and participates as a screening agency during working hours for Manchester Emergency Housing, a non-profit family shelter.

If you need any of the services listed below, contact the State Division of Health and Human Services (State Welfare). The Manchester office is located at 195 McGregor St.  Their phone number is 603-668-2330. Their Web Site is or

  • ANB – Aid to the Needy Blind
  • APTD – Aid to the Permanently and Totally Disabled
  • Child Care
  • Child Support
  • DEAS – Division of Elderly and Adult Services
  • DCYF – Division of Children, Youth and Families
  • EBT – Electronic Benefits Transfer
  • Food Stamps
  • Healthy Kids Program
  • Medicaid
  • OAA – Old Age Assistance
  • TANF – Temporary Assistance to Needy Families

If you need temporary emergency assistance, you must apply at the Manchester City Welfare Office. To apply for emergency assistance, you can download, print, and complete the Application Form, or you can obtain an Application Form at our office. The Application must be fully completed and be signed by all adult household occupants.

Do not email or fax completed Applications.  The completed Application must be brought in person to the applicant(s)’ intake interview along with the following:

  • Proof of Identification for all household members, such as picture ID, driver’s license and birth certificate.
  • Social Security numbers for all household members.
  • Proof of income/benefits from any source for all household members, such as TANF, food stamps, child support, Social Security (SSI/SSD/Retirement), unemployment compensation, Workers’ Compensation, VA, and/or current pay stubs for the past 4 weeks.
  • Proof of Current Tax Return.
  • Proof of Residency such as: current rent receipts, copy of rental agreement or lease, statement from person with whom you are residing.
  • Proof of Expenses such as – rent, utilities, child care, medical or any other receipts you have for the household.
  • Proof of Cash Resources for all household members such as: savings passbooks, current checking or savings account statement from your bank or credit union, cash on hand.
  • Proof of Personal or Real Estate Property such as: vehicle or mobile home.
  • Doctor’s Statement is necessary if anyone in the household is unable to work. This statement must include the nature and extent of the disability, as well as any work limitations.
  • Proof of any programs you have applied for such as: APTD (State Disability), TANF, food stamps, Medicaid, Social Security (SSI/SSD/Retirement) Medicare, VA benefits, Fuel Assistance/W.I.C., unemployment compensation, Workers Compensation.

Applicants facing eviction are to bring copies of all documents relating to the eviction, as well as the name and phone number of the landlord or the landlord’s agent.

Intake interviews are held on a “first come, first seen” basis.

Get Adobe Reader

Copyright 2018 City of Manchester Terms Of Use Privacy Statement Site Map Login