Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events are routinely scheduled on the second Saturday in May and the second Saturday in October.
Residents may dispose of household hazardous wastes safely, legally, and free at one of the City's semi-annual collection events. The 2021 events are scheduled at the Drop Off Facility, located at 500 Dunbarton Road. on the following dates in 2021.
Saturday, May 8, 2021, from 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Saturday, October 9, 2021, from 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Many everyday household products are considered hazardous. If not disposed of correctly, these wastes can contaminate groundwater, damage sewer lines, and impair natural resources such as lakes and rivers.
Common Household Hazardous Wastes
Hazardous wastes should never be placed in the trash or poured down a drain. Common items that are hazardous include:
- Button cell and rechargeable batteries (not alkaline)
- Cleaners and disinfectants
- Drain openers
- Mercury thermometers and fluorescent bulbs
- Oil-based paints, stains and thinners (not latex)
Residents may dispose of up to 10 gallons of liquid and 20 pounds of solid household hazardous waste at no cost.
- Liquids should be in containers no larger than five gallons each
- Each container must be labeled
- Containers should be carried individually or in boxes, not in garbage bags
- Participants must bring proof of Manchester residency
For more information about storage and disposal of HHW, consult the State's HHW publications list https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/commissioner/p2au/pps/hhwp/categories/publications.htm
The following materials are not accepted at collection events:
- Construction/demolition debris
- Fire Extinguishers
- Household Trash
- Latex Paint
- Propane Tanks
- Used Tires
These items may be brought to the Drop Off Facility during regular business hours. Fees may apply. Medicines, including sharps, must be packaged in accordance with State of New Hampshire guidelines.