The City provides weekly curbside collection of trash throughout most of Manchester, and more frequent pickups in the downtown and neighborhoods with high population densities.
When is my refuse collected?
- Refuse must be placed at the edge of the roadway and should not block sidewalks.
- Refuse must be contained in either (a) carts available for purchase from the City or (b) containers that meet the requirements of Chapter 91.66 of the City ordinances. Additionally, for the safety of collection crews, syringes must be enclosed in a rigid, secured and labeled container per State guidelines on sharps.
- Refuse should be put out by 7 AM of the collection day, but not prior to 4 PM of the day preceeding.
- Yard waste is collected seasonally on a different schedule and must be separated from garbage.
- For those participating in recycling, recyclables must be placed in a blue recycling cart.
- Items not collected curbside include asbestos, automotive parts, bulky items (except as noted below), construction debris, electronic waste, hazardous waste*, loose trash, and propane tanks.
*free disposal of household items is available to Manchester residents at Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
Oversize items, including furniture, appliances and large pieces of scrap metal, will be picked up curbside by appointment only. There is a $25 charge per appointment, with a maximum of five items per pickup. Other limitations apply. See the Bulky Item Pickup Request Form for more information. (Note-- bulky items may also be disposed of at the Drop Off Facility. Fees may apply.)
Durable roll-out carts are available for puchase at the Drop Off Facility by Manchester curbside collection customers. Each cart is warrantied for ten years from the date of manufacture. Only cash and checks are accepted.
For quick-reference information about the City’s trash, recycling and yard waste services, check out the 2015 Solid Waste Guide.