The City provides weekly curbside collection of trash throughout most of Manchester, and Tu-Th-Sa-Su pickup in the Downtown Collection Zone. To determine which day(s) your property is serviced, consult the Collection Map and Schedule.
- Refuse must be placed at the edge of the roadway and should not block sidewalks.
- Refuse should not be put out for collection prior to 4 PM of the day preceding the scheduled collection day.
- For the safety of collection crews, syringes must be placed in a rigid, secured container.
- Yard waste is collected seasonally on a different schedule and must be separated from garbage.
- For those participating in recycling, recyclables must be placed in a blue recycling cart. Recyclables are collected separately on the same day as refuse.
- Items not collected curbside include asbestos, automotive parts, bulky items (except as noted below), construction debris, electronic waste, hazardous waste*, loose trash, and propane tanks.
*free disposal is available to Manchester residents at Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
Oversize items, including furniture, appliances and large pieces of scrap metal, will be picked up curbside by appointment only. There is a $25 charge per pickup appointment, with a limit of five items per pickup. You must submit a Bulky Item Request Form along with payment. (Alternatively, bulky items may be disposed of at the Drop Off Facility at 500 Dunbarton Road. Fees may apply.)
Trash is not collected on City holidays, and collection schedules may vary during holiday weeks. Consult the Collection Map and Schedule for more information.
Public Works has 65 gallon and 95 gallon carts available for purchase by Manchester's residential refuse customers. The prices are $47 and $60, respectively. Carts may be purchased at the Drop Off Facility at 500 Dunbarton Road. Only cash and checks are accepted.
Carts have a 10-year warranty from the month/year of manufacture. A date stamp can be found on the body of the cart, handle side, to the left of the "Husky" logo. Carts requiring repair or replacement should be brought to the Drop Off Facility. Note— if the warranty has expired, Public Works will not be able to provide a free replacement cart.
For quick-reference information about the City’s curbside collection services, check out the 2014 Residential Refuse, Recycling and Yard Waste Guide.