Welcome to the City of Manchester, NH Official Web Site
    Login
Site Navigation
 Home
 Maps

This website and its contents
are a service of
the City of Manchester, NH

Administrative Records of the Office of the City Clerk

 

 
                                                       Receipt for City Hall Desk


Agreements and Contracts, 1841-1941
A collection of contracts, this series includes agreements, bonds, and other legally binding documentation of the City of Manchester’s interaction with businesses, individuals, and other governments. Dating between 1841 and 1941, the contracts encompass projects such as city streets, fire protection, insurance, small and large construction projects, telephone services, a comfort station, laying underground cable lines, and many more. There are also written agreements between members of the City of Manchester’s Board of Mayor and Aldermen, in which they agree to reconsider particular issues, change votes, or alter policy. Arranged alphabetically by contracting party, these documents provide insight into the activities of the city government, technological change, and the development of Manchester’s service industries.
Accession 1998.13

Amoskeag Corporation Agreement for Highways, 1841

Vine Street Fire Station Specifications, 1884

Annual Return of Corporations, 1897-1898
This volume consists of pre-printed pages for each corporation licensed to do business in Manchester. Categories include date of incorporation; amount of stock; number of shares authorized; number of shares issued; value of stock; amount of capital stock paid in; amount of debts due the corporation; debts due from the corporation; amount of property and kind of property owned by the corporation. The bulk of the volume consists of unfilled pages.
Accession 2006.17

Bicentennial Committee, 1973-1977
The papers of the Bicentennial Committee document the activities of this committee which oversaw the celebration of America’s two hundredth birthday and cover the terms of two mayors, Sylvio Dupuis and Charles Stanton. There are grant applications, financial notes, reports and correspondence, as well as drawings of proposed renovations to City property.
Accession 2002.24

Bids and Estimates/Proposals, 1891-1946
A collection of bids and estimates, this series includes proposals provided by businesses and individuals to the City of Manchester for construction and maintenance projects. Dating between the years 1891 and 1946, the bids encompass projects such as the upkeep of city clocks, construction of community schools, renovation of fire stations and additions to the police station, schools and other public facilities. Each document can be used to identify local businessmen and provide information on the costs and specifications of a variety of construction and services projects. In some cases, the City of Manchester’s original request for bids accompanies the proposals.
Accession 1998.12

Charter Commission, 1996
In 1995 voters agreed to allow the revision of the City Charter which had been in effect since 1983. Nine individuals were elected in the Charter Commission in January 1996. Documentation in the files of the Charter Commission includes notes, drafts of proposed charters, expense reports, legal notices, sample charters from other cities and towns, supporting documents of the meetings and videotapes.
Accession 2005.6

Charter Commission, 2002-2003
On November 5, 2002, the voters of Manchester chose nine (9) individuals to revise the City Charter. They discussed issues such as eliminating the aldermen-at-large positions; the powers and duties of the Board of Mayor and Aldermen; whether to appoint or elect the Welfare Commissioner and whether to return to partisan elections.
Accession 2006.2

City Hall Renovation, 1990, 1996-1999
The City Hall Restoration files consist of correspondence, preliminary building plans, grant funding applications, fund raising materials, publicity and schematic drawings.
Accession 2005.11

Correspondence, 1858-1932
This series includes the incoming, outgoing, and internal correspondence of the City of Manchester, New Hampshire’s City Clerk’s office. Though not a complete set, the surviving letters and telegraph messages do serve as a representative sample of the City Clerk’s activities between 1858 and 1932. Most of the incoming correspondence is in the form of telegraph messages and correspondents include officials from other municipalities, the U.S. Treasury Department, bankers, and attorneys at law. Incoming correspondence dealt with standard vital records requests, but also atypical topics such as bond issues, patent violations, the creation of the U.S. Bureau of Statistics, and rent of the City Hall. The only two outgoing letters include an 1863 telegraph from City of Manchester Mayor Theodore Abbott to Joseph Knowlton and the unsigned carbon of a letter from the City of Manchester’s City Clerk to the vice-president of the Manchester Traction, Light, & Power Company. Internal correspondence between departments includes letters from the City Clerk to the City Surveyor and the City Engineer and letters to the City Clerk from the Committee on Streets and the City Engineer. In his letters to the City Surveyor and the City Engineer the Clerk advises these officers of votes taken and decisions made by the Board of Mayor and Aldermen and requiring action by their departments. In his letters to the City Clerk and Board of Mayor and Aldermen, the City Engineer discussed perambulation of town lines, provided lists of the City’s master plumbers, described the “engine house lot” at the corner of Concord and Weston streets, reported the grade of Beacon street from Hanover to Manchester streets, described land in the Town of Auburn and provided a map of the same. A single note from the Committee on Streets to the City Clerk records attendance at the latest committee meeting.
Accession 1998.16

1858 Request to Use City Hall

Deeds, 1826-1963
The land deeds in this series represent property exchanges taking place at the City of Manchester, New Hampshire, Tax Collector land sales between 1826 and 1963. The City Solicitor of Manchester purchased the properties described in each deed after the City Tax Collector confiscated the land from former owners for none payment of taxes.
Accession 1998.17

Deeds (City Property), 1815-present
The Manchester City Deeds collection contains deeds for property given or sold to the City of Manchester for public purposes such as building schools, fire stations and the airport.  Many of the schools and City Hall were built on land owned by the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company. 
2009.103 

1841 City Hall Deed

1847 Central Fire House Deed

1848 Concord Common/Victory Park Deed

1856 Crystal Lake School Deed

1841 Derryfield Park Deed

1933 Driving Park Deed

1852 Hanover Common Deed

1851 Pine Grove Cemetery Deed

1841, 1869  School Administraton Building Deed

1841 Valley Cemetery Deed

 

 
 AMOSKEAG SCHOOL, CIRCA 1932



Dog Licenses, 1890-1891
The City Clerk kept a day book to register dogs. Owners would register their dogs and pay a $2.00 fee per animal.
Accession 2003.25

1891 Dog License Form

Index of Attachments, 1849-1861, 1875-1923
An general index of attachments collected from a variety of local courts including the Hillsborough Supreme Court, Police Court, Rockingham Supreme Court, and Merrimack Supreme Court. Listed are the names of the defendants, the plaintiffs, amount to be collected, the name of the court, when the attachment was received and when the amount due was paid. The discharge terms are not always listed.
Accession 2003.26

Index of Orders and Trustees, 1881-1900
One of the City Clerk’s duties was to record legal papers such as mortgages on personal property, and attachments of real estate, partnerships and assignments. Trustee information consists of: date, trustee, plaintiff, when received, attorney and a notation of discharge. Order information consists of: date, order from, time received, to whom payable and draft #.
Accession 2003.29

Insurance Policies, 1868-1873
The City Clerk’s office kept a journal of Insurance Policies for City-owned property. Insured properties included the Court House, city schools, the Amoskeag Falls Bridge and City Hall. The journal lists the properties, amount of the premium, name of the insurance company, term of risk and the name of the insurance agent.
Accession 2004.16

Insurance Policies, 1925-1934
A collection of insurance policies, this series documents the amount and type of fire, damage, and liability insurance coverage obtained by the City of Manchester, New Hampshire, between 1925 and 1934. The City purchased insurance to protect against the costs of replacing the City Hall building, schools, hospitals, furnishings, automobiles, and almost all other City properties. While the majority of the collection consist of insurance policies, there are also related documents including correspondence and power of attorney releases.
Accession 1998.19

Inventories, 1932-1945
A collection of inventories, this series documents the material culture of the City of Manchester, New Hampshire, governmental offices between 1932 and 1945. The inventories include lists of furniture, lights, and equipment used in departmental offices, including the offices of the City Clerk, the Mayor, the Board of Adjustment, the Public Comfort, the Planning Board, and others. There were also inventories made of furniture, fixtures, and equipment in the City Hall, the Court House, and the Aldermanic Chamber. In addition, a 1933 inventory of real estate and other personal property owned by the City of Manchester listed the value of buildings, land, books, and equipment. This list incorporated all the City schools, fire stations, public buildings, bridges, parks, playgrounds, cemeteries, and the airport.
Accession 1998.20

1933 List of City Owned Property

Leases and Rents, 1902-1940
This series of documents record the leases made and the rents collected by the City of Manchester, New Hampshire, between 1902 and 1940. The City maintained a number of properties which were regularly rented out for either one time functions, short term occupation, or long term businesses. Among the properties rented to other parties by the City were lands and buildings on the “South side of Granite Street,” the “second and third floors” of the Battery building, land “known as part of the City Farm,” Tewksbury Block, and the high school auditoriums. One document indicates that the City leased two pieces of property from John K. McQuestion in 1918 to create “Municipal War Gardens” in support of the national war effort.
Accession 1998.21

1915 Lease Agreement with the Ancient Order of Hibernians


 

Pavillion at Pine Island Park


Licenses, 1845-1942
Once application or petition for a license from the City of Manchester, New Hampshire, was made by a resident, the Board of Mayor and Aldermen voted to approve the license and, in some cases, issued a standardized license to the effect. This collection of licenses date between 1845 and 1942. The earliest surviving licenses date from March 1845. The two license provide handwritten verification to J. M. Barnes that he could continue paving a portion of Elm Street and to Tilton S. Sweetser that he was licensed to “sell wine and spiritous liquors” in the City of Manchester. Other licenses granted the right to construct businesses or homes, to manufacturer within the City limits, to enter a drain or sewer into the City system, to operate a taxi, to erect and maintain electrical wires, or to fish or hunt in the State of New Hampshire.
Accession 1998.41

1845 License Agreement to sell liquor

Licenses to Encumber Streets, 1870-1893
Licenses were granted to individuals and companies to encumber portions of a street in order to move a building, repair a roof, put up a wall, etc. The license holder had to keep the area well lighted at night, free from obstructions and guarantee that no shade trees were cut down. The licenses were signed by the Board of Mayor and Aldermen and witnessed by the City Clerk. All the licenses are written on preprinted State of New Hampshire forms.
Accession 2003.30

License Applications, 1901-1946, 1950-1980
This collection of applications for licenses from the City of Manchester, New Hampshire, dates between 1901 and 1946. Individuals applied for applications to create and conduct a variety of businesses and to organize all types of entertainment. A license was needed to conduct a circus, amusement park, boxing or wrestling bout, concerts, dances, dog shows, exhibitions, plays, and almost any activity on the sabbath. Most business activities also required a license from the City, including zoos, bowling alleys, employment bureaus, hackney carriages, jitneys, job teaming, junk yards, merry-go-rounds, miniature golf, museums, pawn brokers, penny arcades, pool rooms, roller skating rinks, taxis, theatres, trucking, undertaking, and wood dealers. In addition, applications for license to operate a motor vehicle began as early as 1917. Each applicant completed a form for the Office of the city Clerk, Manchester, N.H. The form records the name of the applicant, resident address, the type of license requested, place of birth, date of birth, New Hampshire citizenship, current address, length of residence in Manchester, how long the applicant has been in business, location of business, and a signature. The signature of the City Clerk on the reverse side of the application indicated that the application had been granted.
Accession 1998.40

Pool Room Application, 1930

Sunday License Application for Pine Island Park Concessions, 1934

Licensing Fees, 1933-1941
The City Clerk's office maintained a list of licensing fees to be charged to individuals and businesses. Fees were based on the type of activitiy or business for which the license was being issued. This collection of licensing fees information dates from 1933 through 1941. The fees listed include licensing fees charged for the operation of theaters, including fees for Sunday operation and annually. Another list provides information on fees charged for automobile permits, amusement parks, dogs, Sunday activities, marriages, and sewer attachments in 1941.
Accession 1998.42

Insurance Policies Lists, 1913-1935
The first set of lists in this series record the insurance companies’ names, the amount of insurance coverage, and the date of policy expiration for several City of Manchester facilities. The facilities include Highland School, City Hall, the City Farm, Goff’s Falls School Committee, and Youngsville School. The second set of lists in this series record insurance coverage for several facilities by agent name, amount of coverage, and expiration date. The last two lists record information regarding insurance coverage of City facilities and property by the name of the insurance company.
Accession 1998.18

Military Service Enrollment Ledger/Journal, 1870-1882
In the month of April, men between the ages of 18 and 45 were required to enroll as eligible for military service. Enrollment was done by the Clerk or Chairman of the Board of the Assessors, and the results were sometimes recorded by the City Clerk. The names are not in any particular order but some do designate what military organization they served in such as the First New Hampshire Battery or the Sheridan Guards.
Accession 2003.23

Miscellaneous Records, 1848-present
Miscellaneous Records are volumes of lined journals used by the City Clerk to record a wide variety of transactions. Diverse issues include perambulation of boundaries between Manchester and adjoining towns; Collection of Taxes, (Volume 1-3);Regulations for Public Schools (Volume 2); Records of Public Auctions; Sketch of Manchester/Hooksett Line (Volume 4); Petitions and requests for utility poles and conduits; Sale of the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company in 1911 (Volume 7); the sale and leasing of automobiles (Volume 14) and the sale of a heifer with 5 legs (Volume 15).
Accession 2004.15

Mortgages, 1863-1897
This collection of mortgages records the temporary transfer of property ownership between individuals in exchange for loans. If paid back, the property transfer would then become null and void. Mortgaged property included land, carriages, horses, wagons, a steamboat, the liquor inventory of one mortgagees’ pub, sleds, harnesses, cords of wood, cows, clothing and furnishings. The mortgages are recorded on printed forms provided by the State of New Hampshire.
Accession 1998.43

1863 Mortgage of a Horse

New Hampshire Wetlands Board, 1988-2001
The New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services sends to the Office of the City Clerk copies of applications of Highway Dredge and Fill Permit Applications, Posting Permits, Minimum Impact Applications and Groundwater Permits for companies and properties located in Manchester.
Accession 2005.3
 

Main Street Grammar School, 1932
 


Oaths of Office, 1843-1930
In the Town/City of Manchester,it was the duty of the Justice of the Peace to witness and record the oaths taken by elected and appointed officials to the City Government. This collection of oaths of office includes oaths taken by the Culler of Brick for the Town of Manchester in 1843; the Measurer of Wood for the Town of Manchester in 1844; the Surveyor of Lumber and the Hog Rieves for the Town of Manchester in 1844; Members of the Board of Health for Manchester in1845; those elected moderator for the electoral wards; those appointed Town Clerk for electoral wards; those serving on the Board of Public Works; and those serving in the State of New Hampshire Forest Service. In the 1840s and 1850s, the Justice of the Peace recorded the oaths taken with short handwritten notes. In the 1860s, the Justice of the Peace for the City printed formal “Oath of Office” forms to the record these events.
Accession 1998.44

S.C.S. Burnham's Oath of Office for Ward Clerk of Ward One, 1849

Record of Assignments, 1873
The Record of Assignments are standard, preprinted forms in which an individual, in consideration for a sum of money, agrees to repay a debt with an individual, company or the City of Manchester. They are signed by the debtor, the lender and witnessed by the City Clerk. Most of the book contains blank forms.
Accession 2003.24

Record of Insurance Policies, 1868-1873
The City Clerk’s office kept a journal of Insurance Policies for City-owned property. Insured properties included the Court House, city schools, the Amoskeag Falls Bridge and City Hall. The journal lists the properties, amount of the premium, name of the insurance company, term of risk and the name of the insurance agent.
Accession 2004.16

Record of Officers' Oaths, 1887-1904
A record book of oaths administered by the City Clerk, serving as a Justice of the Peace, to individuals who were elected to city positions such as Surveyor of Lumber, Highway Surveyor, Weigher of Hay, Straw and Coal, Trustee of Pine Grove Cemetery and Street and Park Commission.
Accession 2003.22

Surveys, circa 1945
Incomplete Postwar Employment Survey for the City of Manchester, New Hampshire. The survey appears to be in draft form and indicates an attempt on the part of the City to provide employment for returning veterans, probably after World War II.
Accession 1998.45

Town Records, 1841-September 1846
The Manchester town clerk kept a journal to record the minutes from the town meetings, warrants for upcoming elections, election results, road discontinuances, tax lists, licenses and bills of sale. Entries include an 1841 grant from the Amoskeag Corporation to layout the Valley Cemetery; a March 19, 1841 warrant to build a Town House; the deed for the Town Farm and a 1846 Warrant to the elect the first Mayor of Manchester.
Accession 2003.21

Trademarks/Patents, 1881-1923
This file of Trademarks and Patents includes one document related to a patent, dated 1881, and four documents related to trademark protection, dated 1904 through 1923. In 1881, the City of Manchester paid $1,000. for use of the “apparatus for excavating privy vaults” whose patent was controlled by the Eagle Odorless Apparatus Company. In 1903, the State of New Hampshire passed an Act Relating to the Use of Trade Marks and Names to help protect the trademarks developed by New Hampshire businesses. Among the trademarks registered in Manchester, New Hampshire was Roy & Cloutier (buyers and sellers of milk and cream) in 1904; W.F. Glancy (makers of soda water and serge ale) in 1914; Joseph Quirin, 1913, Importer, (importer of wines, beers, and ales) in 1914; and the Salem Coca Cola Bottling Company, which developed a specific label for their soft drinks in 1923.
Accession 1998.46

Roy & Cloutier Trademark for Milk Bottles

 

Home Page

last changed 1/6/2014
Copyright 2014 City of Manchester    Terms Of Use   Privacy Statement   Site Map